Re: Icon that appears on selecting a table in Word

Bhavya shah

Dear Quentin,

Thanks for the clear explanation. I think the floating toolbar that
appears on left-clicking that icon is what I was hoping to pull up.
While there are alternative ways to access those options, I think
there still is value to accessing these icons, and I was wondering if
there is a GitHub ticket reporting this. If not, would you be willing
to file one?

Thanks.

When you hover over a table or the focus is in a table, there is an icon at
the top left which is square with the move (four way arrows) symbol. You
can click on this and drag to move the table. I don't think there is an
equivalent keyboard command, aside from selecting, cutting and pasting.

If you left click on this icon, it brings up a kind of floating toolbar,
where you can select some of the font and paragraph options, some options
for deleting or inserting, as well as adding a comment or opening table
styles.

While the order is different, you can get to most of these options from the
context menu, and the rest (standard font and paragraph options) from the
ribbon.

There is a plain white square at the bottom right corner of the table.
Clicking and dragging it resizes the table, which you can otherwise do from
the Table Layout ribbon - alt, then j, then l. If you click on this
without dragging, it opens the same floating toolbar as described for the
other icon.

Regards

Quentin

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 11:33 AM Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...>
wrote:

Dear all,

I am currently using NVDA 2021.3 Beta 2 and Word for Microsoft 365 on
a Windows 10 machine. From a sighted person I am working with, I have
learnt that when I select an entire table (by going to browse mode and
setting start and end markers), a certain icon shows up which contains
several options. This icon gives options different from that which I
get on pressing the Applications key. If you have followed my question
so far, do you know of a way to access and click this icon
independently?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

Quentin Christensen