Quoting via the Groups.io Web Forum Interface [Spin-Off from Re: NVDA's handling of checkboxes especially in Google Chrome]

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 02:07 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
It took me a while to figure out how to quote messages using the web interface.
-
Ah, another rare web interface user!!  Glad to see you here.

Since what follows is about how to use Groups.io itself, and I've always allowed "special dispensations" for this sort of off-topic topic, I'm allowing one for myself.

The easiest way to describe this, for those new to the web interface, is simply to highlight the portion of the previous message that you wish to quote, and by default the automatic quotation will be top quoted, then activate the reply button.  You can selectively quote as little as you need to or want to with ease just by highlighting that portion before hitting reply.

When you land in the reply box your insert cursor will already bee sitting below the inserted quoted material.  Another web interface user told me that it was confusing for him to determine where the actual quote ended, and my replies began, because the auto-quote feature does not put any text marker after the block quote.  That is how I've come to consistently put a single hyphen, on its own line, to serve the purpose of a marker after which the reply begins.  It seems to have worked based on his reports back to me.

         ~ John F. Kennedy