Re: Selecting Groups of Cells in Word Tables

Bhavya,

The simple answer to your question is, "Yes."  But this also depends on your comfort with selecting additional rows below the first one you've selected without an announcement from NVDA that it's happening.

I will try to describe this process as best I can.

Position yourself in R2C2, preferably at the far right side of whatever data has already been entered.  Hit SHIFT + Right Arrow and you wll get an announcement that the cell is selected.  If you happen to put yourself somewhere other than the far right side of your typed data, as you hit SHIFT + Right Arrow you will hear character by character being selected, until you hit the end of the cell content, then that next SHIFT + Right Arrow will just say "selected" and all characters in the cell will be selected.  For example, if you have a cell with 25.8 in it, and start with the cursor to the right of the 8, when you hit SHIFT + Right Arrow you will hear twenty-five point eight selected.   will let you play with putting your cursor in the middle, or to the left of the value and hitting SHIFT + Right Arrow to see how things vary.

Presuming R2C2 contains 25.8, and you've selected the cell in one fell swoop, if you keep SHIFT + Right Arrowing it will successively select each full cell to the right of the one that you last selected.  So if you'd selected R2C2, then SHIFT + Right Arrowed again, it would select the cell to the right, and if that cell contained 18.7, it NVDA immediately says 18.7 selected (and that is, of course, R2C3).

This is where the "you've got to be comfortable with silence and trust in how selection works parts come in.  Once you have R2C2 and R2C3 selected, SHIFT + Down Arrow will add to the selection R3C2 and R3C3 but not announce anything (usually, anyway).  Each successive SHIFT + DOWN Arrow press will select the corresponding two columns beneath the row you are currently sitting on.

The SHIFT + UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT Arrow Key can be used to select and unselect cell "clumps", and if you overshoot, say you hit SHIFT + DOWN Arrow after you'd already selected R3C2 and R3C3 snagging their R4 analogs into your selection, you can unselect those both with a simple SHIFT + Up Arrow.

You'll have to play with this to get the feel.

I'm not sure where or how you intend to paste what you've selected and, I presume, copied.  Once I have some idea of what you intend to do, I can check out how various paste options would work depending on the context where they're being pasted.

         ~ John F. Kennedy