Status Bars and NVDA

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am using NVDA 2021.3 Beta 2 on a Windows 10 machine. To my
knowledge, back in the day at least, I thought status bars were
incredibly common and present in most applications. I had a bunch of
programs open and decided to issue the read status bar command
(NVDA+Shift+End on a laptop) to see what happened. The results are
below:
* Wordpad: "No status line found"
* Windows Explorer: "No status line found"
* Stata: "j"
* Microsoft Edge: "No status line found"
* Word for Microsoft 365: "Status Bar Page Number Page 2 of 32 Word
Count 2728 words Spelling and Grammar Check Errors Text Predictions
Text Predictions: On Accessibility Checker Accessibility: Investigate
Focus Read Mode Print Layout Web Layout Zoom Out Zoom 160 Zoom In
Zoom 160%" after a 2.5 second delay
* Wordweb: "wordweb.info"

In this experiment, most programs gave no valuable information. In the
one program that did have a meaningful status bar, NVDA took a solid
2.5 seconds to read it. Are status bars truly becoming obsolete? Or
does this hint at an issue in NVDA's read status bar command?

I would appreciate any thoughts and inputs.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024