From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bhavya shah
Sent: November 22, 2021 4:42 AM
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Status Bars and NVDA

Dear all,

I am using NVDA 2021.3 Beta 2 on a Windows 10 machine. To my knowledge, back in the day at least, I thought status bars were incredibly common and present in most applications. I had a bunch of programs open and decided to issue the read status bar command (NVDA+Shift+End on a laptop) to see what happened. The results are
below:
* Wordpad: "No status line found"
* Windows Explorer: "No status line found"
* Stata: "j"
* Microsoft Edge: "No status line found"
* Word for Microsoft 365: "Status Bar Page Number Page 2 of 32 Word Count 2728 words Spelling and Grammar Check Errors Text Predictions Text Predictions: On Accessibility Checker Accessibility: Investigate Focus Read Mode Print Layout Web Layout Zoom Out Zoom 160 Zoom In Zoom 160%" after a 2.5 second delay
* Wordweb: "wordweb.info"

In this experiment, most programs gave no valuable information. In the one program that did have a meaningful status bar, NVDA took a solid
2.5 seconds to read it. Are status bars truly becoming obsolete? Or does this hint at an issue in NVDA's read status bar command?

I would appreciate any thoughts and inputs.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024