Re: keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes

Daniel McGee

Thank you all very much for helping me with this query. I'm going to have to do some studying to learn about object navigation but for now,

Gene and Quentin have saved the day.

Unfortunately, the add-on wasn't able to capture the error message. However, the windows keystroke did. I wasn't aware of this new addition added to windows. Neat little feature Microsoft and for Quentin for bringing it to my attention.

Kind regards

Daniel

On 22/11/2021 06:17, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Getting back to the original question,

For a lot of dialog boxes such as error messages, you can actually copy them just by pressing control+c.

I think it was an update to Windows a couple years back added that but I can't recall.

I just opened notepad, typed a couple of characters and pressed alt+f4.  When it asked me what I wanted to do, I pressed control+c and here's what I got:

[Window Title]
Notepad

[Main Instruction]
Do you want to save changes to Untitled?

[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 8:38 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
And I think it’s worth noting that using caps lock as an NVDA key is off by default in both layouts and that it is very useful in the desktop layout if you turn it on there.  It isn’t just intended for use in the laptop layout.

I use the desktop layout and I find execution of a number of NVDA commands much more convenient using the caps lock.

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes

Just to get up on my recent soapbox in several venues, it cannot (and I'd say should not) be presumed that any random laptop user is actually using laptop keyboard layout.

NVDA uses desktop layout by default on any laptop on which I've installed it and the majority of laptops have been sporting a full-size desktop type keyboard for some time now.

Laptops with classic laptop keyboard layout are the exception, not the rule.

Keyboard layout depends on the keyboard itself, not the thing it's connected to or built into.

One can use laptop layout with a full-size keyboard, but not vice versa.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager