Re: NVDA Portable Start

Chris Mullins

Hi

In a previous message I  posted:

@echo off

start <full path including drive letter>

Exit

I have subsequently found that the start command will launch the program in the filepath without waiting for it to terminate and exit the command prompt but this only occurs if the program being launched is a windowed application, otherwise the command prompt window will not close until the launched program has terminated.  Gene mentioned that he had successfully launched MP3 Direct Cut as I did Notepad and that would be because both of these programs have a GUI.

The following batch file content worked fine for me, in that it launched NVDA and closed the command prompt window:

@echo off

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\nvda_slave.exe" launchNVDA -r

Howard asked about the filepath bing in quotes.  In the example above the filepath has to be in quotes because it contains a space.  If the whole filepath is an unbroken character string, you do not require quotes.  This harks back to the days of DOS when spaces were not allowed in folder/file names.  When Windows eventually allowed folder/file names to contain spaces, quotes were introduced to delimit the filepath so that older command parsers could still work with the new formats for folder/file names.

Apologies for supplying the misleading information.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows