The only problem that remains is to make sure the machine boots from  the USB port.  I have a friend coming over (some time) to help me with the CMOS setup.

That gets a little windy, but I think it explains what I'm tryng to do.  Thank you, Gene, for offerring your assist.

Howard

On 11/28/2021 5:22 AM, Gene wrote:
I can’t tell from what you write whether you plan to use the batch file on one machine or many machines.  You don’t know what letter is going to be assigned to the thumb drive on different machines.  And the machine or machines do have speech installed.  You can run Narrator, manually run NVDA, then close Narrator.  There is no harm in having both screen-readers running at the same time until you close Narrator.
A batch file will only work if a machine assigns the same letter to the thumb drive as you have the batch file set for.  You should use Narrator, not a batch file, unless you intend to run the portable only on the same machine so you know the letter is the same.
*From:* Howard Traxler <mailto:htraxler7@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Sunday, November 28, 2021 4:09 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA Portable Start
Yes, typing exit is the one that doesn't work.  I think I found that alt
F4 closes that window.

Someone (can't remember who it was) directed me to create a batch file
because windows no longer recognizes autorun.inf.  I had the whole NVDA
in the root of the thumb drive.  But now, since I want to be able to
choose from two versions of NVDA, I'm putting each in his own folder.
So I will create a batch file for each version 21.1 and 21.2.

The name of the thumb drive is 1.  So, without any speech running, I can
do windows e to open this pc; then another 1 to go to the thumb drive.
Enter to open it and do 1, enter or 2, enter to start the NVDA choice.

I think this should work on a machine that has no speech installed.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 9:33 PM, Gene wrote:
I’m not sure what is going on.  When you say it won’t exit to Windows,
have you tried typing exit and pressing enter?  While convenient, you
don’t have to use a batch file.  If necessary, I’ll discuss how to run
NVDA without one.