From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 10:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Strange behavior of NVDA and Windows 10 at machine startup

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 01:03 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

If the sighted folks can't bear even that brief inconvenience, then tell them to shut up and buy their own equipment.

-
Big picture, you're right.  But it's not that simple, and you know it.

Each and every one of us is used to what we're used to, and very few of us who don't have either a blind loved one or coworker have ever, even once, been in front of a computer with a screen reader, period, let alone one that's active on a login screen.

It's not that a sighted person can't, or won't, adjust, it's just that the first time you encounter this you are a bit like the proverbial deer in the headlights, frozen and not quite knowing what to do.  And that's where the biggest problem lies for a shared computer outside the home in that you'll be running into this issue again and again and again if there are enough occasional sighted users sitting down to use the machine for the first time.

I don't know of a single sighted user in a mixed environment who cannot adjust to a screen reader being on, and even learning how to turn it off.  But if you've never been in a mixed environment, and many haven't, it's utterly unrealistic to believe that "the sighted are a problem here" because they're reacting as many of us naturally do when confronted with something "alien" for the first time in their lives.  They have no idea of what to do, or how, nor should they.

I think a very great many on these blind-tech groups forget just how small a minority you are, and in the big picture that matters whether you want it to or not, and particularly in an instance such as this one.  There are never going to be anything near to a majority of people in the world who have ever, even once, encountered an assistive technology of any sort.  And they're almost always going to be flummoxed when they do for the first time.  One of the proverbial crosses you must bear is the constant need to educate when this occurs.

         ~ Vance Packard