Re: Strange behavior of NVDA and Windows 10 at machine startup

Sarah k Alawami

Yep. I sat right next to a deaf person during lunch, didn’t know this, thought she  was being rude when she would not answer back at me. Tha’ts another store, but you are right.

I recently had to fix my mom’s computer, again,  and left the screen reader on accidently; luckily she knows how to turn it off, still though. My sister and brother are used to it, but they were not at first and nor was my best friend of 20 years.

To the person’s question, I think there is a way to set up user profiles on windows to do what you need, but I’m not 100 percent sure. A quick bing search might be of  help here.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 10:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Strange behavior of NVDA and Windows 10 at machine startup

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 01:03 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

If the sighted folks can't bear even that brief inconvenience, then tell them to shut up and buy their own equipment.

-
Big picture, you're right.  But it's not that simple, and you know it.

Each and every one of us is used to what we're used to, and very few of us who don't have either a blind loved one or coworker have ever, even once, been in front of a computer with a screen reader, period, let alone one that's active on a login screen.

It's not that a sighted person can't, or won't, adjust, it's just that the first time you encounter this you are a bit like the proverbial deer in the headlights, frozen and not quite knowing what to do.  And that's where the biggest problem lies for a shared computer outside the home in that you'll be running into this issue again and again and again if there are enough occasional sighted users sitting down to use the machine for the first time.

I don't know of a single sighted user in a mixed environment who cannot adjust to a screen reader being on, and even learning how to turn it off.  But if you've never been in a mixed environment, and many haven't, it's utterly unrealistic to believe that "the sighted are a problem here" because they're reacting as many of us naturally do when confronted with something "alien" for the first time in their lives.  They have no idea of what to do, or how, nor should they.

I think a very great many on these blind-tech groups forget just how small a minority you are, and in the big picture that matters whether you want it to or not, and particularly in an instance such as this one.  There are never going to be anything near to a majority of people in the world who have ever, even once, encountered an assistive technology of any sort.  And they're almost always going to be flummoxed when they do for the first time.  One of the proverbial crosses you must bear is the constant need to educate when this occurs.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.