Re: eBook Readers with NVDA

udit pandey

is there any ebook converter which can convert my hard books pages into very accessible way in word or daisy formait so fs reader or ms word can work on it and nvda can read it properly

On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 at 02:47, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
Thorium Reader is another option: https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

(It gets a mention in this week's In-Process which is out later today)

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
Edge can probably read epub files with a plugin,b ut not natively. I've tried a few plugins for both chromium and firefox and there seem to be accessibility issues with many of them. I just use various tools to convert to .txt file for the most part. Qread can do this but it scrambles character encoding sometimes, rending things like quotation marks and accents a whole lot of nonsense characters on my braille display.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Isige
Sent: December 2, 2021 12:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] eBook Readers with NVDA

I use QRead myself, but lots of people don't like it because the author will abandon things for long periods of time. Still, for me, it works pretty well, I haven't found another program that reads all of the formats it does. But you do have other options. Edge can read .EPUB files, I'm pretty sure, and lots of things can read PDFs nowadays, most browsers for example. If they won't come up as text you'll have to OCR them with something anyway, in order to read them.

I've never gotten Calibre to do much of anything. Personally I wouldn't restrict myself to something like the iPhone, not only because I don't own one, but also because then you're stuck with whatever Apple has.
There are lots of books that aren't in Apple's format.

Another option you didn't mention is Kindle for PC. This is accessible and works well with NVDA, so much so that I signed up for Kindle unlimited. There's also Bookshare, and NLS if you're in the US, or whatever library service you've got in your country, in case you're not hooked up with something like that.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
hope that you all are safe with your family,
 udit