Re: Reading be accessible name of an interactive components in screen readers

Russell James

This is a great question

I would also very much like to understand this :-)

Sometimes it works really well and other times not at all

I think it is different in Windows applications versus web applications

I have noticed at times that it wasn't working on things that I know it has worked with previously and so I will restart nvda and sometimes that resolves the problem

I have also noticed this more recently and can't explain what brought about the change because I don't think nvda has been updated for some time on the computers I'm using

The other day I had a related experience while using a remote windows 10 computer and I couldn't get the system tray icons to be spoken

I realize that I am assuming what you meant and what I think you meant is using a physical mouse to explore by mouse the content on the display

Russ

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021, 2:34 AM Eilana Benish <benish.ilana@...> wrote:

Hello everybody

I would like to understand what makes NVDA read the label or the accessible name when hovering with the mouse on button or image button.

Let's say that the button image button or other element in the form off interactive components has an accessible name. Sometimes NVDA will read the name and sumtimes not.

I must say that in JAWS screen reader, this function of reading the accessible name off interactive component works much better with mouse hover. For example I can hover on a button in Gmail app for the web and JAWS will read the accessible name and NVDA not

Since there are a lot of low vision users and other people with cognitive disabilities who can benefit from hearing the text that associated with the interactive component, it is important to understand the conditions that makes NVDA read the component name.

Hello everybody

I would like to understand what makes NVDA read the label or the accessible name when hovering with the mouse on button or image button.

Let's say that the button image button or other element in the form off interactive components has an accessible name. Sometimes NVDA will read the name and sumtimes not.

I must say that in JAWS screen reader, this function of reading the accessible name off interactive component works much better with mouse hover. For example I can hover on a button in Gmail app for the web and JAWS will read the accessible name and NVDA not

Since there are a lot of low vision users and other people with cognitive disabilities who can benefit from hearing the text that associated with the interactive component, it is important to understand the conditions that makes NVDA read the component name.

Thanks in advance for your comments, thoughts and ideas