Re: File Explorer woes

Gene

the kinds of things Brian is talking about are covered in what is called Windows Basics and it is important to learn Windows Basics in an organized manner. 

It may be that the instructional material, put out by the NVDA developers, teaches Windows basics as a part of the instruction.  Whatever the case, Windows basics is more or less learning about different structures, used repeatedly in Windows and Windows programs, such as menus, ribbons, lists, dialogs, and this or that other structure or control and understanding how to move and work with them using the keyboard.  The NVDA navigator isn’t needed and isn’t used in a lot of what is done in Windows and Windows programs. 

To give you an idea of moving in File Explorer, when you are in a list of folders and files, you can move up and down the list with the up and down arrow keys. 

As far as shortcuts are concerned, I don’t know what you have in mind.  Tabbing is a command,not a shortcut.  The up and down arrows, used in a list are commands.  You are moving up and down in a list. 

I don’t know where you can get good free instruction in Windows basics but what you are asking about fits into that category.  Windows basics teaches things like working with dialogs, menus, ribbons, lists, you mostly work with lists in File Explorer, and other things to know.  It will save you a lot of trouble and it is important to learn Windows basics in an organized manner.  You don’t need to use object navigation for a lot of things you routinely do in Windows and in the majority of programs.  Windows basics, as properly taught to blind people  will show you how to do these things from the keyboard.

I don’t have Windows 10 and, though File Explorer is essentially the same in different versions of Windows, I’ll let others describe how to work with it in case there is this or that detail that I might not know about in Windows 10.  If I don’t mention it, it might cause confusion.  But I’m mainly writing to advise you of the importance of learning Windows basics properly.  Perhaps the NVDA instructional material put out by the NVDA developers themselves explains Windows basics as part of the instruction offered.  Others, familiar with the material will, I hope discuss that. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2021 10:28 AM
Subject: [nvda] File Explorer woes

Hello all,
As a newbie, I am struggling to use File Explorer on Windows 10. I tried to follow the Microsoft support guide on ‘Using the Screen Reader to navigate File Explorer’ ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-a-screen-reader-to-explore-and-navigate-file-explorer-in-windows-e7d3a548-87dd-459f-a991-9fde3f7ce927#PickTab=Windows_10 ) and it has not been helpful at all. Here are my questions:

1) Is using the Windows shortcut keys the only way to navigate the File Explorer?
2) If the answer to 1) is yes, is there a rule as to when one should use tabs, arrow keys, F6 etc.? Are there general rules with these keys in any kind of navigation using the Windows shortcut keys?
3) If the answer to 1) is no, how can NVDA help me here? I tried object navigation and it led me nowhere.
4) Do you think I need sighted help to tell me the layout of the File Explorer to better understand it
5) I am comfortable in using the console for all my file needs but in some cases it can get cumbersome typing all those commands. Is the cmd the only resort for the blind community?

If there are better resources than the above Microsoft Support document, I would appreciate that.

Thank you and forgive me for the long email.

Warmly,
mani

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.