Sent: Monday, December 06, 2021 10:28 AM
Subject: [nvda] File Explorer woes

Hello all,
As a newbie, I am struggling to use File Explorer on Windows 10. I tried to follow the Microsoft support guide on ‘Using the Screen Reader to navigate File Explorer’ ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-a-screen-reader-to-explore-and-navigate-file-explorer-in-windows-e7d3a548-87dd-459f-a991-9fde3f7ce927#PickTab=Windows_10 ) and it has not been helpful at all. Here are my questions:

1) Is using the Windows shortcut keys the only way to navigate the File Explorer?
2) If the answer to 1) is yes, is there a rule as to when one should use tabs, arrow keys, F6 etc.? Are there general rules with these keys in any kind of navigation using the Windows shortcut keys?
3) If the answer to 1) is no, how can NVDA help me here? I tried object navigation and it led me nowhere.
4) Do you think I need sighted help to tell me the layout of the File Explorer to better understand it
5) I am comfortable in using the console for all my file needs but in some cases it can get cumbersome typing all those commands. Is the cmd the only resort for the blind community?

If there are better resources than the above Microsoft Support document, I would appreciate that.

Thank you and forgive me for the long email.

Warmly,
mani