Re: File Explorer woes

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah, my trainers I had never differentiated  any of that.  They just gave use key strokes etc and never told us what was what. We had to figure that out ourselves. It took me 20 years? Ok maybe not 20 years, but it did take a while. A few years at least. I guess for me it just make sence and II never needed to know the difference. I never had the words as in my mind I just linked all of them to what they were Well, in all fairness, no one gave me the words until very very recently.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 1:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] File Explorer woes

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 02:46 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Hit alt tab, good, never have I heard of in my years of listening to other trainers, “hit alt tab, this is a windows keyboard shortcut.” Now hit capslock t. This is a screen reader shortcut.

-
And you probably never will at a keystroke by keystroke level, as that gets tedious very quickly.  But an instructor should introduce the concept of certain keystrokes being handled by Windows, your screen reader, and the application program being used, in that hierarchical order.  Then they should mention if you find yourself using the same keystroke almost literally everywhere, e.g., Tab, SHIFT + TAB, CTRL + X, CTRL + C, CTRL + V, you can pretty much know, because of the fact that they're the same, everywhere, that it's Windows (or, more generally, the operating system) that is processing those.  They don't change across contexts.

Screen reader commands are somewhat more obvious in that they only have an effect either on the screen reader behavior if they tweak settings, or only work if the screen reader is active, e.g., browse mode single letter shortcuts to jump between things like buttons, edit boxes, etc.  You don't have a screen reader running, they have zero effect.

And, finally, application shortcuts.  While I'll admit this is not necessarily clear cut all the time, most of the time it is.  Think of virtually anything that you do that isn't a ubiquitous Windows keyboard shortcut, or a screen reader shortcut, in any application you can name.  The things being done are specific to the application, turning on formatting, rewinding, deleting a file (or character), starting the ripping of a CD, and the list goes on and on.

I don't, with every keyboard shortcut, identify each and every one, each and every time, as to what processes it, as that often overwhelms as far as the student getting the actual result they need to be getting at that moment.  What I do is something like I said above, early on, and when the occasion arises where uncertainty exists, I make them reason out which of those three classes they believe the shortcut to fall into based upon exactly what it does and where it does it.  Most pick up on this very quickly indeed, and it makes their lives much easier over the long run.

Yes, none of the above is specific to NVDA, but it is so important to working with NVDA in the context of Windows and the applications you use it to access that I'm granting myself a special dispensation in order to make that information known, and plain (I hope).

         ~ Vance Packard