Re: opinion on the usability of total comander

Simone Dal Maso

Hello,
I think total commander is really accessible with NVDA.
NVDA reports the panel in which you are, and make a portable copy of the software is really simple.
There is also a dedicated addon!
Then, I use it in many modes, for example I have my pc in a panel and a cloud server in the other, or, a connection with a sftp server in a panel and the cloud in the other.
I abandoned filezilla, since now ftp and sftp are supported, and I can use all cloud service from a simple app, without download all content.

Il 08/12/2021 18:19, Shaun Everiss ha scritto:
Hi.
After hearing about the nao addon in the other topic, I was wandering on how good total commander is as compaired to say windows file explorer.
The win10 file explorer is not bad,  certainly not as bad as it used to be however with all the crazy junk going over with win11, I have wandered if instead of patching and hacking all the systems I use when I eventually have to go, if it would be better using an alternit shell instead.
Obviously I wouldn't want to use that shell automatically all the day long on any system, windows shell would be the default but at least while things are screwed a little I can get round it.
Naturally on my system I will hack and slash and crack my way to freedom.
But I really don't want to megatweak every system mainly because I won't be its main user, after all I go on these systems to update them.
Never the less, if this is small, maybe all I need to do is run this from a drive before I use it or run a shortcut.
The other issue I don't care for is loading all my tweakers and stuff on a system.
I really don't want to hose a system and I have almost done this with winaerotweaker by being to tweaky and not reading what I was doing and just toggling one day.
Luckily I was able to reverse what I did but I really don't want a user to start up one of my modifiers, hose the system completely and get told, that they were fiddling with my tool and changing who knows what.
Leaving me no choice bnut to reformat because I didn't know what was changed and they not being able to tell me.
I also need something that will hide where I can toggle it on without the user accidentally bumping it.
I have told one of my users how to use ccleaner with its initial configurations but I have also had to warn off my users from finding and running my tools as they could be dangerous.
Obviously I can't make them hard to exactly find and use, I mean I need to find them and use them but as long as they don't directly show themselves unless for whatever reason the user needs to brouse a particular folder of a drive or my stuff folder of a drive with my stuff in it its not a problem.