Re: accessibility versus usability

In addition to Quentin's observations, if you've got massive electronic tomes that at the very least have decent tables of contents and/or indices, and it's a grand PITA to try to use same when you're in the middle of said tome, it can be well worth using a PDF splitting utility (I love PDF SAM - Split and Merge - I don't know if it's accessible or not) to split off the table of contents and/or index so that you can have those up side by side with the main content.  Just being able to refer to one or the other to get an idea of where something might be or what terminology might be used for searching to get to same can make it much faster to do so than jumping around in the main material looking for same.

There will likely always be documents "of a certain age" in particular that will never be up to accessibility standards of today and never be revisited, either.  There are often ways to make your life easier in terms of being able to find what you want, though.

This is the approach I often take for actual print copy, which never had or has anything other than the table of contents and/or index to allow you to find things, but it's a simple matter for someone sighted, like myself, to stick a finger in the page where I want to come back to in order to reference either.  What I propose above is the rough cyber equivalent of this.