Re: Missing spaces between words in PDF document

Stanley Haupt

Here is my birthday information

May 20, 1953

Stanley Haupt

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 5:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Missing spaces between words in PDF document

Heaven, Jacob, et al,

I had a long chat session with the Adobe help team yesterday.

It seems that the problem arises when a document created in some other editor is saved as PDF this problem can arise resulting in spaces not appearing to be standard ones under ISO (or ASCII 32).

With the help of the Adobe support team, I used “adobe Acrobat Pro DC” to reprocess the offending document by printing it “as Adobe” and saving the output document to the hard disk rather than actually printing it. The spaces were all present and no misspellings occurred.

The help team assured me that this problem arises from outside editors and not from within Adobe. Therefore, Adobe can do nothing about it.

Perhaps we could ask Microsoft and other manufacturers of editing programs to examine their processes for creating PDF files and see how this might arise.

The authors of my problem document used Microsoft PowerPoint to create the document and then saved it as .PDF. That suggests that Microsoft have to take this up and sort it out, doesn’t it?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for free now!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Heaven Botma
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 6:04 AM

Hi

I am not sure how UNISA (my university) formats things.  

Heaven Botma

Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege

Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634

C: 063 692 2573

F: 023 348 7633

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Thursday, 29 September 2016 10:09 AM
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Heaven,

Have you any idea how such documents are formatted before they are put into Adobe? Could I then warn the developers to avoid something that might cause the spaces to be removed?

All the best,

Cearbhall

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for free now!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Heaven Botma
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:05 AM

Hi

I almost always experience this with documents in Adobe Reader.  I usually have to edit my university study material to insert the spaces.

Heaven Botma

Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege

Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634

C: 063 692 2573

F: 023 348 7633

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

Sent: Thursday, 29 September 2016 12:08 AM
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Sheri,

Actually, I ran this PDF document through Abbyyy Finereader and the OCR cured the spacing problem! So, I will have to ask the authors if this document was originally run through OCR to generate the PDF that was sent to me.

The OCR caused another problem that is not in the original: There are tables that contain multiple lines of text within each cell. Abbyyy Finereader put all of the text lines onto separate rows and this makes it difficult to make sense of the tables.

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sheri Byrne-Haber
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:44 PM

For what it’s worth, I usually find this when the text in a document has come through an OCR process.

Sheri

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:43 PM
Subject: [nvda] Missing spaces between words in PDF document

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes some PDF documents to have words that are not separated by a space?

For example: “TheCitizensBoard issuesdocumentsabout organisingevents”

This line of text should clearly have a space between the words.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader under Windows 10 and NVDA 2016.3.

This is not new and I often find it. Can anyone explain why it happens or at least what I can do to advise authors on how to avoid sending out these badly structured documents?

All the best,

Cearbhall

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended solely for the person and/or entity to whom it is addressed (i.e. those identified in the "To" and "cc" box). They are the property of McDonald's Corporation. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or copying of this communication, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail and attachments to the sender and delete the e-mail and attachments and any copy from your system. McDonald's thanks you for your cooperation.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.