Re: NVDA Features feedback

Mani Iyer

Hello Brian,
I write poetry. And as you know, line and stanza breaks are very important to poetry.  I know I will get used to the silence but technically, it baffles me as to why the carriage return or newline was singled out.
And the funny thing is NVDA does speak it when you use the left arrow key to read the text backward across lines.

Mani

mani

On Dec 15, 2021, at 1:20 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 01:09 PM, Mani Iyer wrote:
It is a whitespace character like the tab or blank which are correctly spoken by NVDA.
-
Tab cannot be distinguished from other whitespace unless announced.  Blank is generally only announced going character by character or line by line if a line is blank.

Newline is very simple to deduce by context, and I doubt that very many would ever want that announced as a routine matter.

Not that I need to understand, but I'd like to:  Why do you have such a desire for Enter/Carriage Return/Newline to be explicitly spoken?  And, as a follow up, how is it that you cannot deduce its presence in almost all cases?

Heaven knows I would not want enter echoed every time I type it just like I don't want space echoed in the vast majority of cases.  But that's me.