Re: NVDA Features feedback

Sarah k Alawami

I was taught that return and a new line are not the same thing. Theirs both a soft return and a hard return which are generated by two different keystrokes. One is shift enter or control enter and one of them is just enter. I can hear the difference on my operating systems I use. They also do not do the same thing, not technically. The CR is  generated by enter and is a true carage return. Google for both.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 11:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Features feedback

Yes, but people who receive anything like reasonably good training should know that enter in a word processor or text editor places a hard return in the text.  Since you are pressing enter I think it should be identified as enter.  You are placing a return in the text but you are using the enter key, not the return key, there is no such key, to do this.

Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 12:08 PM

Gene,

I will try to make this short. In my humble opinion, unlike the control characters, the carriage return(\r) is generated  by the enter/return  key. It is a whitespace character like the tab or blank which are correctly spoken by NVDA.

Mani

On Dec 15, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

If its going to say anything, I would think enter is what should be said.  Return is only the effect of pressing enter in certain contexts.  And what about people who want to hear it not just in word or text writing applications?  I think the solution is to have a definable speak commands key function.  Now, the user can’t define what is or isn’t spoken.;  Every key, the arrow keys, enter, tab, nvda key when used with another modifier such as control, backspace every time you press it before the letter being removed is announced, control when used with other keys, and I would imagine others ai haven’t thought of, are spoken.  Its maddening unless you require to hear all this for some reason.  It makes the feature useless for most people.

If adding this definability is easy and requires little work, the following doesn’t matter.  If it would be enough work to amount to something, it might be a good idea to take a poll of users to see if the demand justifies the work when compared with the need for other work to be done.

Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 9:44 AM

Hello,

Speak the carriage return character at all times when entering or reading text.   You can say ‘carriage return’ or ’new line’.

Mani