Re: NVDA Features feedback

Gene

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be available but in every case I’ve come across, such symbols are eye candy.  And the only way I can cause them not to be spoken is to set the verbosity level of them higher than the level of punctuation I usually use.  That is the kind of thing a lot of users will never learn about.  If you are going to add more and more verbosity to web pages, there should be simple commands to adjust the amount of verbosity spoken. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Features feedback

Actually the left triangle can can indicate depending on the site and the layout of the page  an arrow, that can be useful if the thing can be clicked. I would want that  spoken if the sighted person tells me to click where the left triangle is.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 10:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I don’t object to the amount of verbosity in screen-readers for general use.  And even you said you expect there to be different levels of verbosity settings in NVDA, which there aren’t.  I do object to the amount of verbosity when in web ;pages.  Why is bloc quote on?  I question how many people want to know information about lists.  There may be other notifications most people don’t care about and I think it would be useful to have a survey about that. 

And there is still no way to turn figure out of figure notifications off, nor to turn off, on the fly, announcements of symbols on web [pages.  It doesn’t benefit me at all to hear left pointing triangle when I’m reading a web

page and on some pages, I hear such information repeatedly.  Recently, I discovered another new or rather new addition.  I don’t remember the wording, but it was something like emphasis area.  It was thoroughly distracting, and because the portion of the page had such material close together, I kept hearing in and out of emphasis area.  This is not at all helpful.  Perhaps it is something different like marked area.  Others may remember. 

There seems to be an attitude that the more verbosity on web pages, the better.  I think its time that this be discussed.  And its not because I mind adjusting verbosity myself.  I just think the approach is wrong and that many people won’t learn enough to know how to control it.

If there is going to be this amount of verbosity, and it keeps being added to, I think users should be surveyed.  On what basis are such decisions made now?

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 12:03 PM

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 12:06 PM, Gene wrote:

That’s one reason I object to so much verbosity being on by default.

-
Gene, I'm sorry, but the only response to this complaint is:  Get over it, and get on with tweaking your configurations.

I do not know of a single screen reader that is not set to "maximum verbosity" in its out of the box state with the clear intention of making things maximally easy for neophyte users.

Long term users of software, not just screen readers, need to know how to tweak settings to their personal preferences.  You do this, but far, far, far too many will not.  If one-tenth the time spent complaining about things "not liked" that are resettable were spent actually asking about whether such were resettable, and then resetting them once the information is presented, most of the complaining would vanish.

If you are using any complex piece of software, ignorance is no excuse for endless complaining.  Ignorance can be easily cured by asking, but it's never cured by complaining and making assertions (and they're far too frequent) that thing X or thing Y can't be done because you've not lifted a finger to research or inquire about whether they can be done.

Windows, Android, JAWS, NVDA, Narrator, MS-Word, MS-Excel, and the list goes on and on will never be "easy to use" if you want to exploit them to their maximum extent and get your cyber world working in a way that's most pleasing to you.  Large amounts of customization are required.  This is one of the reasons, among many, that I and all professional computer techs insist that all users should be doing system image backups on a regular, cyclic basis.  There is a massive amount of time and effort put into getting one's computing environment just as one likes it, and it generally occurs over years and in such a way that you have no memory of a great deal of how certain specific things came to be.  If you have a system drive failure or any one of a number of other disasters, all of that is lost in one fell swoop with very little chance that it can ever be recovered.  If you have a backup, you can get it all back, quickly, and with a minimum of muss and fuss (and that's even if you need to engage a tech to do the actual work).
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.