locked Re: GMail Basic Setting With NVDA

Gene

You have to turn keyboard shortcuts on.
  This is a Google web page snippet.  If you have problems doing what is directed, let us know.

Open Gmail .
At the top right, click Settings. See all settings.
Scroll to the Keyboard shortcuts section and select Keyboard shortcuts on.
At the bottom, click Save Changes.

Gene
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] GMail Basic Setting With NVDA

I have tried to use the standard view and have tried using the shortcut keys they publish.  however, I can't get the shortcuts to work. When I press them I get no response and no action from Firefox on the google page at all.  I have tried them on the gmail page as well.

Are the shortcut keys supposed to be combined with some other keys or something?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 12/17/2021 10:58 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Yeah j  for next, k for next, * plus a for select all, number  for move to j junk. If you hit the ? you will get a list of keys. Read with all punctuation on so you can get the one I posted. It is actually a very good experience.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 6:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

You learned shortcut commands to use your e-mail program.  Do you complain about that?  This is a case where a site is serving as an e-mail platform and, of course, it is to one’s great advantage to learn certain shortcuts.  And the shortcuts may have been intentionally designed to be similar, where possible and practical, to those typically used in e-mail programs.  Perhaps alt r is reply.  That’s very similar to control r. 

While I don’t often use e-mail in web interfaces, it is a logical assumption that you would learn the small number of shortcuts such as compose, reply, and a small number of others that you would use regularly.  And if you don’t want to learn a shortcut you don’t use often, you can get to what you want in other ways.  For example, there may be a shortcut to go to the trash folder.  What if I don’t know it?  I can use the screen-reader’s search to search for trash.  But if I use the trash folder often, it would be to my advantage to learn the shortcut. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:37 AM

Life is too short to learn every website's preferred way to use their product. If GMail cannot use HTML as intended, I'll pointedly use something else. My limited brain capacity is reserved for stuff where remembering 20 unique key combinations, there effects, and side effects actually matter.

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.