Re: NVDA Features feedback

Mani Iyer

Brian,
I am with you on the bang but ‘line’ for ‘underscore’ was unnerving. I had it changed to ‘underscore’ in the punctuation dictionary and now I am a happy man! :)

mani.

mani

On Dec 17, 2021, at 4:13 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 02:18 PM, Devin Prater wrote:
So, as you can hear, there are no difference, because NVDA just literally sends "blank" to the voice you're using.
-
Devin,

But, realistically, how often is the word blank going to appear on its own on a single line?

The reason I'd prefer some tone, it need not be a beep, per se, but it should be very short, very obvious, and "easy on the ears" to denote an actually blank line, which I'd define as either a line with nothing but whitespace followed with a newline, or a line that's nothing but a newline.

It's interesting to me to see how different people, and not just Gene or myself, are bothered by certain verbosity, but not necessarily others.  One example that has passed through the group discussion in the past is there are some who want NVDA to say "exclamation point" rather than "bang" for that character.  I'd rather plug my ears than hear the 5-syllable, two-word, phrase, "exclamation point," as opposed to the very quick and short, "bang," when one is encountered.  All the more so since it's become somewhat common for exclamation point overloading at the end of certain things.  Some of this is the result of my many years as a coder, too, and a C coder in particular.  The term "bang" is very, very commonly used for that character for reasons of economy of expression, since it occurs in C code as the logical operator NOT with more than a little frequency.  If I hear "bang" other than in a context like, "The gun went off with a bang," where the reference to sound is obvious, I instantly go to the exclamation point character in my head.  It's almost hard wired now.  For the same reason I prefer "dot" to "period" when doing character by character reading in text.  Not that I'd expect all the world to go for it, but I became used to "hook" for question mark as a programmer, too.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill