locked Re: Update issues - NVDA 2021.1 & 2 along with Add-Ons in those two Versions #adminnotice

Sarah k Alawami

Yes they sure could. I do that and have without any issues, still though it’s good to have a fall back in case something borks.

I dun no if that will help but here’s hoping.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 3:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Update issues - NVDA 2021.1 & 2 along with Add-Ons in those two Versions #adminnotice

Could the user run the installer and leve the currently installed version in place?  Even if the user should uninstall the current version, from what you say, installing the new version after uninstalling the currently installed version would not mean that anything was lost or very little, if anything.

Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 5:15 PM

Gene,

A typical uninstall of NVDA (like a lot of programs) does not remove user settings by default.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled on multiple occasions and all of my user settings and add-ons have remained entirely intact (with the exception, of course, of certain incompatible add-ons being disabled if the newer version of NVDA determines them to be incompatible.  But that doesn't count, as it's by design, and the add-ons aren't removed, they're still shown in add-ons manager and disabled).

If someone wants to create a portable version of the current instance of NVDA with all settings, then more power to them.  But it's generally unnecessary.

Most modern programs employ the individual user account's AppData directory (which is normally an invisible folder in Windows unless you tweak things to make it show) to store things like settings and the like that are user selected, and uninstalls almost never remove these by default, though many give the option of removing them if you don't intend to reinstall, and the dialogs related to the removal make that very clear.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)