Re: NVDA 2021.3.1 cursor doesn't move in Google product edit fields

Sarah k Alawami

I have sort of experienced this in some electron apps such as discord but it happens so rarely I can’t really say, ok, brake now. I do hope this problem is fixed though and someone can figure out the magic sauce.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Russell James
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2021.3.1 cursor doesn't move in Google product edit fields

I have observed at least similar results using Firefox and GMail compose/edit boxes.

I cannot be sure but I think this is the same symptoms/problem...

To clarify, I don't think the cursor is not moving, it is just not speaking when it is moved.

This is happening more often with recent versions of NVDA.

Unfortunately, I do not have a set of steps to reproduce the problem.

As others have reported, moving away from the edit box and coming back is the only known work around.

Until recently, I had only experienced this while using Linked-In message compose/edit boxes.

At that time, probably 2/3 years back, I thought it was LI specific and reported the problem to LI.

Russ

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 5:36 PM Nate Kile <theblindprogrammercorner@...> wrote:

I have also noticed this. It definitely impacts workflow.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 1:17 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I haven’t tested with the browsers you have named but the Brave browser, another Chrome-based browser, displays this behavior in the Google search edit field.  I haven’t tried other edit fields.

Firefox doesn’t display this behavior.

Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 3:56 PM

Hi.  When I type into Google product edit fields like the search fields in Youtube or Google search, I can't move the cursor around the text using the ARROW KEYS unless I TAB out of and back into the edit field.  I tried both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome with the same result, but they are both chromium-based browsers.  I only have those browsers installed on my computer, and they are both up-to-date.  This doesn't happen in other edit fields like the Windows search box.  I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1466), NVDA 2021.3.1, Microsoft Edge Version 97.0.1072.62 (Official build) (64-bit), and Google Chrome Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit).  Has anyone else come across this?

Louise