Re: Sleep mode question

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 06:31 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Actually, sleep mode is application specific.
-
Joseph, I hate to say it, but that would be incorrect in that it's incomplete.  Application-specific means for a running application, not individual instances of a running application.  It really is process specific, that is, an individual instance of a running application.

The reason I used "window specific" is that individual instances of running applications under Windows pretty much always equate to a window per instance.  Or at least that's the most straightforward way I can think of to put across the idea for most users.

But if you can have 10 MS-Word windows open, and have sleep on in only one of them - and you can - then describing something as application specific is overly broad and carries the implication that it applies at the application level - all instances of an application - like an application profile does.  But sleep mode does not.  It's way more specific than that.

I was somewhat surprised by that given the way it's been described, so I think some better way of describing the scope than "application specific" is really needed.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)