Re: NVDA announcing shortcut keys

Gene

I can state an opinion about what should be the case without always qualifying it by saying something like others may disagree, etc.  This sort of thing is done constantly.  See editorial pages and opinion columns for innumerable examples.  When I write in such a way, I assume that it is generally understood that I am expressing an opinion.

This is not a question of taste, usual or not.  It isn't a question of I like chocolate ice cream.  It is a question of which better serves users.

Aside from that, Openbook does not automatically save settings.  Window-eyes didn't.  I don't think Kurzweil does. These designers may have had good reasons for what they did.

In the case of Window-eyes, the reason was so that users could experiment with settings, then not accidentally have them be saved.  I suspect that also, in the cases of all three of these programs, this was done so users could change settings, then change them back if the changes were intended to be temporary such as temporarily changing a contrast setting.  It was evidently intended that these settings would not be accidentally saved on exit.

Gene

On 1/16/2022 12:53 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 01:04 PM, Gene wrote:
This should not be the default behavior.
-
Again, Gene, this is your opinion.  It is not mine.

In almost all programs, including NVDA, when people change settings they want those changes "to stick" and actually expect it unless they deliberately arrange it otherwise.  This has been a convention for decades, and across types of software.

You know how to turn this off.  If you don't like that default, then do that.  Your tastes, which are sometimes unusual, don't hold sway.  All the time you state, unequivocally, that they should.  Sorry, but, no.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)