Re: NVDA announcing shortcut keys

Gene

Yesterday, I began a new issue on Github on this topic.  As a result of discussion, I proposed two other solutions to the problem than my initial one.

You can see the discussion and comment here:

On 1/16/2022 4:12 PM, Gene wrote:

Yes, what you say is correct about programs in general but a screen-reader is somewhat different than typical programs.  In a screen-reader, people often want to change settings temporarily and not have them accidentally  saved permanently.  You may want to change the speech rate, perhaps you are reading something you want to concentrate on more and slow the screen-reader, perhaps you want to change punctuation temporarily, or change what is or isn't spoken on a certain web page.  Perhaps you want to change the voice.  I imagine people would tend to change one setting usually but I also suspect there are times when people might want to change two or three, but you don't want any of these changes to be permanent.  If your computer spontaneously reboots, the changed settings will be permanently saved.  While this doesn't happen often, it does happen.  Because you may have set them a long time ago, you may not recall the numerical values of the settings and you may find it annoying to reset them.  You may be doing something after making one or more changes and decide to switch screen-readers.  Without thinking about reverting before shutdown, you close NVDA.  The old settings have been lost and the new ones saved.

And in the case of those learning NVDA I believe it gives students more confidence in

experimenting with NVDA settings if they know they won't accidentally be saved.  They can change as many settings as they want and none of them will be permanently saved, unless intentionally.

I believe that programs like Openbook and Kurzweil are in this category of program as well.

Gene

On 1/16/2022 3:30 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 02:51 PM, Gene wrote:
People may differ with me all they like, but why is the current default better than my proposal?
-
Gene,

I suggest you look at how the Settings under Windows 10 & 11, Microsoft Office, most web browsers, and the list goes on and on these days work.  The era of having to hit even so much as a Save key to finalize your choices has, quite often, disappeared.  Even a Cancel button has become rarer.  The settings take effect, immediately, and stay as you set them until or unless you set them back.  It has become the most common convention.

That matters.  People come to expect this sort of behavior ecosystem wide as it has come to predominate.

It's not even a matter of personal preference, really, so much as a matter of establishing a consistent convention and sticking with it.  There are programs, and they are relatively few and NVDA is one of them, that allow you to actually control when/if settings changes are saved.  It gives you the control if you want to set an exception to what has become common convention.

But in all cases, whether I necessarily like what the common convention is, personally, I recognize the value in following it.  Knowing what to expect, in most cases, has a great value even if I so happen to hate whatever that thing is.  At least I know and I know that if it's possible for me to change it then it is up to me to make that change.  It makes it a conscious deviation from the common convention.

NVDA is adhering to modern conventions, and should continue to do so.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)