Re: backing up NVDA settings

Yeah, had that happen quite a lot.

I do a lot of repairs, if you can track it to a broken hardware, busted drivers, a user error, something like them wanting something and then getting a bunch of spyware and then having to fix that, that I can understand.

One user did that with a conference recorder.

He loaded a free one.

It wasn't free at all.

I pay for a conversion suite that has that functionality.

It was a snap to spend the 9 bucks to get him the right module.

I had the same with the same user with a busted wireless card, took out his sound drivers, user account a bunch of spyware got in.

The card was not only busted the manufacturer no longer existed.

But I have had users that load the same things constantly.

I had to give up on those.

I have also had users just well get stuff and are not sure where they went.

Even though I try the same command and can't find an error.

Users especially the alderly can get distracted with buttons even though they should not to push that button.

Teens can do things to.

A shared computer unless everyone can be trusted is a headake.

But I have my limits.

Generally unless I need to I won't spend 3 days on an issue.

If its broken and I can't fix it easilly, I tend to take it right back to basics.

Note down everythhing, get their software, reformat, then build it up updating and checking as I go.

Eventually I find the issue or fix issues as I go.

Especially if its a new system it forces me to see what needs doing and other things.

I have had a couple stories with one user that had updated but left everything at defaults so no wander it broke.

I have also had another user with a game I had to work round.

Both users refused a format.

So a repair job for both took me 2 weeks for one user and a month for the other.

I was payed and charged accordingly, but I could have had both systems up within a week if I had started from basics.

Its

It is worth knowing though that 1 reason I didn't insist to much was that both systems had spinning main drives and I wanted to just sort them.

My brother had one such system.

Was always going, being patched and holding.

However its neever needed a reinstall because it was up for like 24-7 well it never got reloaded though it clearly needed it.

Then it was just to old.

Then it just didn't turn on.

Maybe since my brother refuses to pick it up I will use it for a doorstop.

On 18/01/2022 7:54 am, Chris via groups.io wrote:

But more often than not users are left scratching their arse when something that was working before shutting down and now its completely screwed up today!

How often have you heard that???

Sent: 17 January 2022 18:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] backing up NVDA settings

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 12:10 PM, Chris wrote:

Your best option in the first place would be to uncheck the option to save configuration on exit!

That way any accidental setting change would not be saved unless of course you save the configuration manually

-
I am not trying to argue your central point, which is entirely valid, but I can say that I have seen, on more than one occasion, where those who've turned automatic save off wail mightily when hours of settings tweaks end up not being saved because they forgot to save them.

In the end, it is critical that you (the generic you), know and understand precisely how your NVDA on your machine(s) is configured.  It's the only way you can know what's necessary to either make sure that what you're doing is going to have the result you expect.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.