Re: backing up NVDA settings

Don H

When you change the NVDA settings there are two files only within the
appdata/roaming/nvda folder being changed. So only backing up those two
files would work rather than backing up the whole nvda folder at that
location.

On 1/17/2022 1:18 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 01:54 PM, Chris wrote:

But more often than not users are left scratching their arse when
something that was working before shutting down and now its
completely screwed up today!

-
Chris,

The problem being that I have heard both, and plenty.

In the end, there is no solution here, there is just personal preference
and optimal design as far as how users are, or are not, prompted.

I have long ago gotten over the idea that you can please all of the
people all of the time, or that users will even bother to learn a lot of
the basics of whatever it is they happen to be using.  I've also come to
the conclusion that the computing version of, "Ignorance of the law is
no excuse," applies.

Everything, absolutely everything, has default settings and behaviors.
If you (the generic you) are going to use them, then it is incumbent on
you to take the time to learn what those are.  And it usually doesn't
take very long to do so.  No one is expecting anyone to RTFM from cover
to cover for something like Windows, NVDA, JAWS, MS-Word, MS-Excel, or
similar.  But at least having read and digested the quick start guides
would be a very good starting point.  And I will add, in the case of
NVDA, the entire user guide is not very long at all and huge sections of
it can be skipped over if you know you aren't using, for instance, a
Braille display.  It is comprehensible, and even if you don't (and,
believe me, you don't) memorize each and every thing just having the
knowledge, in the back of your head, that "something about how to do
{insert thing you want to do at a later date here}" was discussed is
very helpful indeed when you decide you actually want to do it.

I am just so over the idea that it's OK for users to not know how to
reference the various pieces of documentation for whatever they use.
And I'd say I'm even more adamant about that for screen reading software
in particular.  I don't know of anyone, including myself, who knows it
all and has it all memorized.  I'd say that for well over 90% of the
"more esoteric" questions I answer on this very group the way I get the
answer is opening the NVDA Commands Quick Reference and/or NVDA User
Guide and using just one or two key words from the original question,
and, voilà, there it is.

In the year 2022, it is completely unacceptable for anyone to believe
that not being able to seek out readily available information,
independently, is just A-OK.  It's not, and if you don't know how the
first thing you should set about doing is learning by asking, "How do I
go about finding . . . ?," rather than asking for an answer.  Teach a
man or woman to fish . . .

None of the above should be a surprise to anyone who's been reading me
over time, either, and is the very reason I've pretty much stopped
giving direct answers to queries along the lines of, "What's the
command/keystroke for . . .?," opting instead to give the instructions
for opening the Commands Quick Reference along with the search word or
phrase that gets the questioner straight to the answer or very, very
near to it.  That gives both the answer, and teaches a skill.

*/The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting
for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what
these ideals are./*

*/       ~/*Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)