Re: backing up NVDA settings

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 02:32 PM, Jackie wrote:
1 of the things I used to do when I was doing A T was to
actually let students get themselves in trouble, because eventually
it's gonna happen, & learning how to listen to the directions the
program is providing that in many cases will help get them extricated
is a skill that needs to be learned early.
-
Amen, Jackie!!   I'm sure we both gauged "how much trouble" and "how deep" depending on the student and when we'd intervene, but the general principal applied.

Sometimes I will cue a student into the fact that they've missed an error because they weren't listening and that, at the early stages of the game, you must listen to everything.  But, just like there is "muscle memory" there is ear memory and you can, and should, learn what you don't have to listen to with care as time goes on.  I doubt that there's any one of us, regardless of the sensory modality involved, that doesn't develop an "auto pilot" setting where what we always hear or see just becomes so much background, but when something out of the ordinary occurs in the announcement stream or visually, you suddenly snap to attention.  That really is a very basic skill that needs to be learned.  Another one, and it's not really related, but that I've always found needs to be explicitly stated is that it's perfectly fine to use CTRL or Esc to make the screen reader STFU.  With the advent of very human sounding synthesizers, I've observed many who are new to screen readers reacting to what they're saying as though it's a real human saying it, and not interrupting out of typical human politeness.  I disabuse them of the notion that they need to be polite to the screen reader software very promptly.

I've learned a lot more by being allowed to make mistakes, by intent by the instructor, and having them give me the absolute minimum feedback possible both when making the mistake and when extricating myself, than I ever have by being told what to do.  I also tend to remember, much better, things that I had to "figure out by myself or almost by myself."  It also teaches you that it is well nigh impossible to really break, as in it just can't be fixed, anything related to a computer when it comes to something you can do as a user with software.  Everything can be reversed, and just knowing that, and knowing you can do that, even if you don't have the immediate means to do it, can take a heap off your mind.

All of the above said, in 2022, Backup, Backup, Backup!! is also a basic skill that anyone who cares about their own work and data must do.  It's the absolute cheapest insurance for both your data and your sanity.  Sadly it all too often takes having lost everything, and it being unrecoverable even in professional data recovery facilities, for some to accept this and actually do it.  Massive backup drives (local ones - USB connected) can be had for very well under $100 these days, and cloud storage, if you have internet fast enough to backup to it, is also really, really cheap.  Back up your full system image, at a minimum, and do separate user data backups (which can include things like NVDA settings) as well.  When you need each kind of backup differs, and getting to one file in a straight user data backup archive is usually a lot easier than trying to use the utilities to pick it out of a full system image backup.  (As Sarah's earlier post clearly suggests, the XCOPY or ROBOCOPY command under Command Prompt can be used to very quicky create a user data backup of whatever "scope of files" you might want.)

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)