Re: backing up NVDA settings

Gene

Also, you are discussing something entirely different than I was discussing.  I am not discussing a user following instructions from a tech that may be repairing something and that the person may not understand all of or remember them all.  I am saying that if a user changes the voice, turns off reporting of links because he/she is reading an article so full of links that it is distracting to read it, changes the punctuation level, or a lot of other settings, that whether the user remembers all the changes or not, it should be up to the user to decide what to do.  The situation you are discussing is completely outside of the purpose of my proposal.

Gene

On 1/18/2022 12:22 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

There may be times when someone makes various changes and doesn't remember what they all are because there are a lot of them or the person just doesn't recall.  In that case, the person can decide, when the prompt is displayed if he/she wants to save the settings or not.

What you say is true.  But my proposal leaves that decision to the user.  it isn't made automatically.  Settings won't be automatically saved, wanted or not because a computer spontaneously reboots, the user forgets that he has made changes and closes NVDA for some reason, or the person reboots or shuts down Windows which results in NVDA being shut down.  The point of my proposal is to change only one thing, to ;prompt the user so the user decides.

\Gene

On 1/17/2022 11:51 PM, mike mcglashon wrote:

Quoted:

I believe I addressed your questions in my previous message.

I sent it before I saw yours.

I wouldn't inform the user of anything about what or where changes have been made.

I would display the same dialog any time any settings have  been changed.

[Its up to the user to remember what changes were made and determine if he/she wants to save them.]

End quote:

To whom this may concern:

I do not think this is fair to assume on the behest of the “average computer user” (sighted or blind);

Many people hit buttons, checkboxes, edit boxes, etc in hopes of getting their computer to work the way “it used too”;.

The statement above expects the patient to remember what he told the doctor on his previous visit to verify his symptoms are legit;

Many of us, (including me… guilty…);,

Often hit buttons and other controls to attempt to get the computer we wanted to do something like before;

I do appreciate any technician to walk me through a process to get us where we wish to be;

And,

I appreciate the fact that they expect that I would not remember such settings to get us back or to where we need to be;

Hence, a techie can get a person such as I back on the forest trail and continue with the hike;

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...