Re: Ms Russian Voices and NVDA

Tony Malykh

I wrote an add-on exactly for this case:

https://github.com/mltony/nvda-tonys-enhancements

One of its functions is language map, which by default includes English and Russian IIRC. So it will force your synthesizer to switch languages whenever it sees text writte in Latin/Cyrillic. In theory it should work with any synth, but some synthesizers, or rather their NVDA drivers don't support some functionality.

I can confirm that it works well in Microsoft Speech API, Windows OneCore Voices and espeak. Used to work with RHVoice a couple of years ago but I haven't tested since then. And yeah, I tested specifically on Russian/English pair.

HTH

--Tony

On 1/17/2022 4:43 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:

I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.

Mary