Re: NVDA announcing teams alerts

Gene

This sounds like the same kind of problem that exists in Chrome browsers.  It doesn't matter what window you are in, if you are downloading a file, download progress messages are announced. There needs to be a way for screen-readers to turn off forced speech.  I don't know the various ways speech can be forced but screen-readers should have ways to stop it that the user can control.

Gene

On 1/25/2022 9:53 PM, Sharad Koirala wrote:
hi,

for the sighted folks, the alerts are shown only when they are in the
teams window, but for us it is spoken even when we are in the
powerpoint window..
and thats where the problem comes.

thanks.

On 1/22/22, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@...> wrote:

On 2022-01-22 12:24, Gene via groups.io wrote:
There is no reason to believe sighted people get tired of seeing it.
They can ignore the display if they want.  Sight is not necessarily
analogous to sound.  A stock ticker on a web page, if a screen-=-reader
constantly speaks the updates would be so distracting and interfere so
much with listening to other content that the page couldn't be used.  A
sighted person can simply not look at the ticker.
That's true to a very large extent. But sighted people are quite
sensitive to visual movement. So if the stock ticker is mostly not
changing, there's not much distraction. But if it's changing all the
time, and especially if it's changing strongly or in unexpected ways,
then it can be really quite distracting.

Regards, Martin.