Try another synthesizer.  You can run more than one screen-reader at once.  If you try another one and you get speech, you will get speech from both screen--readers at once.  Close one screen-reader,.

While I doubt this is the cause of the problem, the first thing to try is NVDA key s.  Do you hear any speech saying anything like speech mode on, speech mode off or speech mode beeps?  If you don't hear anything after executing the command once, execute it two more times to be back where you started from.

Gene

On 1/26/2022 2:53 PM, Steven Hicks wrote:
Yes, even if I start it after logon manually, it appears to load but there is no speech.
I know it is running as when you do NVDA+q, you receive the quit screen.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jackie
Sent: 26 January 2022 05:04
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Not Talking

Hi, Steven. Just because there's speech at logon does not mean there will be speech once the computer has started. Both options need to be checked in 'Preferences > Settings > General'. Specifically:
"Start NVDA after I sign in" needs to be checked.

On 1/25/22, Steven Hicks <hickser@...> wrote:
Hi friends,

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after logging
on, there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that
NVDA is running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there
is no speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I
unload NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems
to have happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

.