Open the Windows volume control and tab to the NVDA volume setting there.  Having the NVDA volume set within NVDA is completely independent of the Windows volume control setting. Check with another screen-reader running at the same time as NVDA, to see what the Windows volume control setting is.  On my Windows 7 machine, the setting is somewhere around 8.  I doubt that higher versions of Windows would use a setting that is different or much different.

In NVDA itself, the default volume level may differ a lot from synthesizer to synthesizer.  I wouldn't recommend a level but see if it is reasonable, between about 40 and 90 roughly.

Gene

On 1/26/2022 2:54 PM, Steven Hicks wrote:
Thanks, I tried that an nothing happened.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Isige
Sent: 26 January 2022 05:18
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Not Talking

Also, you might have speech mode set to beeps somehow, that's what the high-pitched noise makes me think of. Hit NVDA-s, and speech mode will toggle between talk, beeps, and off.

My other thought is that NVDA is picking another sound card/device that's not what you're listening through. If you've got another sound device with an output hooked up, some USB microphones have headphone jacks for example, try hooking up to that and see if NVDA's coming through it. If so, you can hit ctrl-NVDA-s to get into the synthesizer settings, and change the sound device from in there.

On 1/25/2022 11:03 PM, Jackie wrote:
Hi, Steven. Just because there's speech at logon does not mean there
will be speech once the computer has started. Both options need to be
checked in 'Preferences > Settings > General'. Specifically:
"Start NVDA after I sign in" needs to be checked.

On 1/25/22, Steven Hicks <hickser@...> wrote:
Hi friends,

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after
logging on, there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that
NVDA is running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there
is no speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I
unload NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems
to have happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?