Re: How setting heading rows and columns in Excel, and reading of those by NVDA, works . . .

John Isige

Yeah, I've never had to mess with profiles before at all. So for instance, if I changed synth settings, and opened Excel let's say, they stuck. SO I guess I just assumed that the document formatting settings worked the same way. So I knew about profiles and all, just not this behavior. But it's actually doubly useful, because I'd only want the table behavior for something like Excel and not in NVDA generally. So thanks once again!

On 1/26/2022 1:03 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

John,

It does look as though you have a profile for the Spreadsheet.

Press NVDA +control +p to see what profiles you have in your NVDA. There should be a “Normal” profile by default.

When you are on the  desktop, the Normal profile is active. Your column reading parameters would then be saved in the Normal profile.

If, as I suspect, you have the “Spreadsheet” profile, this will become active as soon as you open Excel.

When you set the parameters while outside Excel, the column reading parameters that you set up were saved in the Normal profile.

What you have done now that you have opened Excel, is to set the column reading settings in the Spreadsheet profile and that explains why they are now working whenever you open excel.

There is a detailed explanation of the profiles in the NVDA user manual. I recommend you read that and try setting up manual profiles and triggered ones just to see how they work.

All the best,

Cearbhall