New add-on (more toward an add-on feature package): Sound Splitter, split from Tony Malykh's Tony's Enhancements #addonrelease

Hello everyone,

I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of a public preview of Sound Splitter, the latest of a series of add-on releases from yours truly. Before going further, I would like to take this time to acknowledge the hard work of Tony Malykh, who gave me and the NVDA add-ons community members the big idea behind this add-on and for originally developing the code that powers this add-on.

As the name implies, Sound Splitter lets you hear audio from NVDA and other programs on different audio channels. For example, with sound Splitter add-on installed and enabled, NVDA will be heard on the right audio channel while sounds from other programs will come through the left speaker. This is useful in apps such as Zoom where you need to hear what the app is saying while participating in meetings.

In case you didn’t catch it, Sound Splitter was originally part of Tony’s Enhancements add-on. Earlier this week a message was sent to NVDA add-ons community, informing members that there was a conflict between Tony’s Enhancements and NVDA Extension (global plugin) in regards to audio splitting functionality. After some discussion, Tony and the community agreed that it would be best to split audio splitter functionality into its own add-on, and the result is Sound Splitter add-on. As a result, feature set is identical with that of Tony’s Enhancements with a notable difference: Sound Splitter is configuration profile aware – that is, you can configure sound splitting feature differently for different profiles, including in app-specific profiles.

Sound Splitter 22.02 download link (to be queued for distribution on community add-ons website and is pending pre-distribution review from add-ons community): https://github.com/josephsl/soundSplitter/releases/download/22.02/soundSplitter-22.02.nvda-addon

NVDA compatibility: 2019.3 and later

IMPORTANT NOTES:

  • Although I have worked on splitting Sound Splitter from Tony’s Enhancements, please give credit to Tony Malykh as sound splitter code is his brainchild.
  • Sound Splitter 22.02 is the one and only planned release of this add-on from me so that I can fulfill the duty of a graduate student from this weekend onwards (school takes highest of highest of priorities). As a result, I won’t be able to resolve bugs or add features – there is a possibility that I will update this add-on to make it compatible with NVDA 2022.1, but that’s in the future.

Thank you (and a special thank you to Tony for his hard work on his add-ons).

P.S. Speaking of school, expect news on my other add-ons this weekend before I suspend add-on development for a while.

Cheers,

Joseph