Re: NVDA Not Talking

Gene

You might be able to cause the talking installer to run without speech but I think you should have Narrator running or another screen-reader when you start installing another one.  You might get messages you need to respond to such as the program not being verified or UAC coming up.

Gene

On 1/28/2022 11:00 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 11:54 AM, tim wrote:
I never need narrator to setup or install NVDA or JFW.

They both have talking installers.
-
My experience mirrors yours, but it does still bring up the question (since I am sighted):  How would someone install a screen reader, even one with a talking installer (and they all seem to have these), without having an access method to the installer to begin with?

I have had users use Narrator as their scaffold screen reader to get the screen reader of their choosing installed on a given machine when sighted help is not available.

I've never really thought, in depth, about how one gets one's first screen reader on a machine without either using Narrator or a sighted assistant.  Once one is there, you generally use it to install others or "the next generation" of the current one.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)