locked Re: control names

Rui Fontes

I know why this different approach...

But, if it is possible to NV Access to decide the order, why not gave the same power to the user?

Rui Fontes

Às 17:16 de 30/01/2022, Brian Vogel escreveu:

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 11:39 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:

By instance in NV Access home page, if I read with arrows, I hear:

link    Support NV Access

and if I navigate with K, I hear:

Support NV Access  link
-
You don't think this is a deliberate design choice?

When you're down arrowing through a page heaven only knows what you're going to hit, and you get the control you've hit (when you hit one) followed by the descriptive text.  It's a way of differentiating ongoing text from some sort of control or structure like a table or list.

When you're using the single charachater shortcuts, you know that you are going to land only on the thing the shortcut navigates to, so there is no sense in announcing what that thing is first, but the descriptive text that goes with the instance of that thing.

And that's likely only the case for things that can be embedded in text such as links with text used to present them.  I don't have time to play now, but I'd expect buttons, dropdowns, radio buttons, checkboxes, and the like to always be announced as descriptive text followed by the control type, at least in English.  In languages that use noun-adjective order, like the romance languages, I'd expect the opposite.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)