locked Re: control names

Gene

I just checked this with a very old version of JAWS.  When I get my new machine, I'll have a current version but I would expect what I found to still apply, but that would need to be checked.

I found that when I tab, using JAWS, the text is spoken first, then the word link.  When I down arrow, link is spoken before the text.

Evidently, there is something about how information is presented when you tab that is different when you move in those two ways.

Gene

On 1/30/2022 11:22 AM, Gene wrote:

As I wrote either last night or early this morning, you hear a different order when you move in different ways.  I don't think this is deliberate.   I haven't tried other screen[-readers and paid attention to this so I don't know if the same behaviors occur.  but this sort of thing I wouldn't expect to be deliberate.

I don't know, as I said, if enough people care about this to offer the choice of what is spoken first, I'm asking, however, if there is any technical reason this can't be done.

Gene

On 1/30/2022 11:16 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 11:39 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:

By instance in NV Access home page, if I read with arrows, I hear:

link    Support NV Access

and if I navigate with K, I hear:

Support NV Access  link
-
You don't think this is a deliberate design choice?

When you're down arrowing through a page heaven only knows what you're going to hit, and you get the control you've hit (when you hit one) followed by the descriptive text.  It's a way of differentiating ongoing text from some sort of control or structure like a table or list.

When you're using the single charachater shortcuts, you know that you are going to land only on the thing the shortcut navigates to, so there is no sense in announcing what that thing is first, but the descriptive text that goes with the instance of that thing.

And that's likely only the case for things that can be embedded in text such as links with text used to present them.  I don't have time to play now, but I'd expect buttons, dropdowns, radio buttons, checkboxes, and the like to always be announced as descriptive text followed by the control type, at least in English.  In languages that use noun-adjective order, like the romance languages, I'd expect the opposite.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)