Re: Unable to set row or column headers in Excel

Quentin Christensen

The main things I can think of are:

- are you SURE you are pressing the right keys?  EG if using the numpad insert, is numlock off?
- Are you in edit mode?  EG when you start typing in a cell or press F2 to edit it, you are in edit mode and can change the contents of the cell - but you CAN'T set column and row headers - you need to finish editing either with enter / tab / control+enter (to stay on that cell) or escape.  THEN you can set column and row headers.
- Are the headers already set - importantly, what is NVDA saying when you press NVDA+shift+r or NVDA+shift+c?

Otherwise, I'm using the same version of NVDA and Office and a slightly newer Windows build by the look of it and all working here:

NVDA 2021.3.1

Windows 10 (64-bit) Version: 21H2 (2009), Build: 19044.1466

Office 365 (64-bit) Version: 16.0.14729.20254

Last thing - are you using any NVDA add-ons?  If you disable those - press NVDA+q then down arrow to "restart with add-ons disabled" and enter, does it make a difference?

Quentin.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 10:05 AM Luke Robinett <lukelistservs@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the response. My mistake —I actually meant to include that this is Office 365. This is my work laptop and I believe Windows is set to update automatically but I will manually upgrade to the latest version if that’s not the case. Any other ideas? Oh, I also checked to make sure that I was using the desktop layout which indeed I am. That’s the correct layout because I’m using an external full-size keyboard.

Thanks again!
Luke

On Feb 1, 2022, at 3:00 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Luke

Although this is not likely the central issue, you're on Windows 10 Version 20H2, which is now two full feature updates behind.  It would make sense to get up-to-date there.

Also, all of the versions of Excel since Excel 2016 have a version number  of 16 dot something.  It's better to specify the commercial version number, e.g., Excel 2019 or Excel 365, than the embedded version number.  Bless you for including a version number, but very few techs even try to memorize that particular version number when it comes to Office.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager