Re: Another annoyance that can't be turned off

Gene

That's good to know but who would think to look in object presentation?  It seems to me that placing the setting there is a real stretch of logic, perhaps tangentially accurate but useless to the typical user.  There should be a setting in general settings, where I looked that simply says, no sound or sounds, however it might be worded.   And why have this sound in the first place?  It tells us nothing of any use.  The start menu has been used for over a decade with no one feeling a need for such a sound.

Gene

On 2/3/2022 4:37 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

I am guessing you a talking about the following.

Press the windows key and type in  say a letter or 2 so it brings up some search suggestions which makes a whirl sound?

If you look under object presentation it can be turned off there look for the following called Play a sound when auto-suggestions appear

If un checked there will be no sound.

Gene nz

.

On 3/02/2022 11:28 pm, Gene wrote:

I'm thinking of opening a Github ticket about this.  I'm discussing it here to see what people think and because others who are annoyed by this new form of useless noise will know how I stopped it.

I don't know just when this was introduced, but somewhere in the last two full versions, it evidently was.  I hadn't updated NVDA for awhile but I decided to now.  When I used the start menu, I heard a new whooshing sound when suggestions opened and when they closed.  I didn't know if this was some new Windows sound so I tested with my older portable version.  There was no sound.

I found nothing doing a Google search.  I solved the problem by changing the wav extension for the suggestions opened and closed files.  There is no way to turn these sounds off in the user interface.

I fail to see what possible useful purpose they serve.  Are people really so incompetent that they need a sound to tell them when start menu results begin to be read?

Please devise some better system for deciding when something should be added.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.