Re: NVDA Not speaking text when using keyboard arrow keys

Russell James

Hi Quentin

Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to provide the helpful instructions!

As I have indicated in other related posts, I am not using any add-ons with nvda, and I don't know how to reproduce the problem..

Hygiene

Thanks for the tip, I should have thought of that, and I have found that I ran into the problem again and was able to use that method to switch focus and return focus to the edit box and work around the problem

Russ

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 10:50 PM Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
I'm not sure about the issue, but it would be good to get more information in order to ascertain exactly what is going on.  Steps for doing that below:

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

(Alternatively, if you are confident in being able to articulate the issue and the steps and that it definitely is a bug, you can search for it on https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues and if not there, write up a "New issue")

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 8:35 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't know if the Word problem is the same but in general, it isn't whether you leave the program and then return.  Try pressing alt to open menus or move you to the ribbons, then press alt again.  That should solve the problem in general, though I don't know if it will in word.

Gene

On 2/3/2022 2:27 PM, Russell James wrote:
Greetings,

While I have experienced this problem and we have had discussions among group members, I don't recall having this problem while editing in Word documents until today.

With high hopes that this will be fixed some day, I wonder if anyone has a convenient work around for this?

In the other cases I have experienced, editing messages in Linked-in and GMail, using different FireFox browsers, if I switch focus elsewhere, using the physical mouse and clicking, then returning focus to the edit box, the problem goes away and therefore provides a sort of work around.

However, there must be a more convenient way to do this...

Thank you

Russ

--
Quentin Christensen