Re: Topic "Narrator vs NVDA" on Blind Android Users Group

Sarah k Alawami

In fact if you look at the descriptor in keyboard help it says “Reads all controls in the active window.” Hth.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 6, 2022 11:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Topic "Narrator vs NVDA" on Blind Android Users Group

This message turned out to be longer than I expected.  Read it when you have time and interest.

I read the discussion and I was reminded, speaking of how to use different access methods, of one I almost never see discussed.  People discuss object navigation off and on but one command related to that is NVDA key b.

My impression is that people tend to think of that command as a read dialog command, but it is much more.  What that command does is read every object on the screen.

I don't use the command that much but I find it very useful to know.

It may be cumbersome and take more time than you want to expend to find something in this way, depending on where it is and how long it takes NVDA to move through the objects to get there but there are times I find things that way I don't find by manually using object navigation.  I don't know if that is because the structure is complex enough that I miss it or if it is not accessible by manually moving through objects for some reason.

NVDA b doesn't just read objects as it moves through and among them.  It actually moves you to what it is reading in the object navigator.  So if you hear something you want to work with and immediately press control, if you do it fast enough, you will still be in that object and can read the line you are on with the read current line in the object navigator command.  The desktop layout command is numpad 8.  Someone else may supply the laptop layout command.

There are times when I press control to stop speech and I'm on the next object being read.  I may look for the one that was read or I may issue the NVDA b command again and start hearing everything over again.  Since I know better what words I'm listening for, I may well be able to stop speech when I am in the object.

people may want to experiment in different windows to see what they hear with this command.  My explanation may not show why it is interesting at times to do so just to see what is read, even if you only listen to some of what is on screen.  This may give people a better idea of how and when they may want to use it but it also helped me learn about why some programs are often so easy and fast for sighted people to use, at least some aspects of the programs.  You may hear a tool bar read that you would not usually, if ever, come across in using the program.  Hearing all sorts of controls announced that a sighted person just sees helps demonstrate why sighted people can use so many programs to an extent, or more, if they know in general what a certain class of program does and in general how to use a certain class of program.

In other words, where a blind person may look through menus and dialogs to learn about how to use a program if they already know enough about a class of program to understand what they see, a sighted person may see a lot of common commands in tool bars displayed in the main program window.  At times, when I move by object, I see commands and brief explanations like send a message, reply to a message, start the colorizer, and lots of other commands.  those are examples of what I see in Windows Live Mail.

Gene

On 2/6/2022 11:51 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

How this topic ever came to have been started there, I will never know or understand, but since that group is unmoderated, it stayed.  There has been enough interesting conversation about Narrator, NVDA, and screen readers across platforms in general, and how various people are using them, that I thought I'd make our readership aware of that topic.  If you want to have a look:  Narrator vs NVDA

It's touched on more than just Narrator and NVDA and has had some really interesting meta-discussion about screen readers in general.

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel