Re: Rearranging the taskbar

Gene

I just tried this on my Windows 10 machine and it works.

Gene

On 2/7/2022 7:06 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
I finally figured out how to use drag and drop with NVDA to change the order of task bar icons.  I haven't tested with other screen-readers so I don't know if NVDA is doing something incorrectly or if this is a general problem.  I was playing with my Windows  7 machine and I haven't tried this on my Windows 10 machine yet but it will probably work.

I noticed that the position of an item did appear to change when I moved it using the mouse lock but when I gave the mouse unlock command, the icon was still in its original position.  So I decided to try other things and not just issue the documented unlock command.

Do everything as you did before but when you get to where you would issue the mouse unlock command, don't do so.  Instead, left click.  The mouse will unlock, though this won't be announced and the icon will be where you want it to be.

For those unfamiliar with the entire procedure, I'll give it here.

On the task bar, move to the item you want to move with the right or left arrow keys or move the object navigator to the item you want with next and previous object commands.  The desktop commands are numpad insert numpad 4 for previous object and numpad insert numpad 6 for next object.

When you are on the icon, route the mouse to it with numpad insert numpad slash.

Lock the mouse with shift numpad slash.  .

Move using next or previous object commands to where you want the icon to be.

Route the mouse there with numpad insert numpad slash, the same routing command as before.

But now, don't use the unlock mouse command, which is shift numpad slash.

Instead, left click, numpad slash.

the mouse will be unlocked and the icon will be in the place you want it to be.

Gene

On 2/7/2022 6:35 AM, Maria S wrote:

Thank you so much Michael. That did the trick.

Maria
On Feb 6, 2022, at 10:37 PM, Michael Micallef at FITA <michael.micallef@...> wrote:

Suppose you need to use the alt+shift+right or left arrows. When you open the taskbar.