Re: Notes from a developer: what do developers really want in an NVDA GitHub issue

Joseph,

Thank you so very much for taking the time and effort to put this together and present it.  It is invaluable information and it is essential information as well.

You have mentioned my tutorial, Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA, so I am posting a direct link to it.  In the context of your own offering, I think it is even more important for those who are considering becoming bug report contributors, who may not as yet have a GitHub Account, or wish to create one prior to making up their minds, download my MS-Word template for a GitHub Bug Report, activate that template to open a new, blank fillable form, and have a look around.  It is based, precisely, on the GitHub template that is used, but is a bit more user friendly (in my opinion) to fill out.  But even if you don't want to use the template once you "take the plunge" and become a bug reporter, this is still an excellent way to familiarize yourself with each and every part of the bug report and what you need to fill out to the maximum extent possible (there will, on occasion, be something that's either not applicable or which you simply cannot fill out initially, but those should be few).  Here are the two bug report templates I created:

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Pre and Post Filling-Out Instructions

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Only Post Filling-Out Instructions
The only difference between the two is that the first, which has pre-filling out instructions, is targeted at those completely new to the exercise including information they need to know.  The one with only post filling-out instructions reminds you that you need to unprotect the document created from the template before you can copy and paste it as a filled out whole in GitHub itself.  They are DOTX files, which means if you have one selected and activate while on it, you are NOT opening the template file itself, but it is being used to generate a blank, fillable MS-Word form for you.  You have not changed a blessed thing about the template itself, and can play and generate blank form after blank form without altering the form structure, so play away!

If you want to acquaint yourself with what's asked for, without the need to actually create a GitHub account before you decide if "being a bug reporter is for me," then have a look at the document that gets created after you activate that template and have a fillable word form.

I did not do one specifically for feature requests, but that would be easy enough to make were there a call for it.

Thank you again for your contribution and for all you have done, and continue to do, in relation to NVDA.

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel