Re: FileZilla

Armando

I have used Filezilla before. It is still accessible.

On Feb 9, 2022, at 5:54 PM, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

´╗┐Hi Gene,

Thanks for passing along this information. I'll definitely be digging into
it soon.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February 8, 2022 11:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] FileZilla

I did one a long time ago. I don't know if or to what extent FileZilla has
changed. You can see if this tutorial pretty much teaches you the basics of
the program and it may help you have a better idea what you are looking for
or at when you look around.

I originally had a section on uploading which I didn't include here. If
someone wants to see it, let me know. I would have to edit it for various
reasons before sending it.

Gene

this, what I'm calling a tutorial, is actually an edited number of messages
sent to a list years ago. The information may not be organized as in
something written as a tutorial. I may cover something and then add more
information later because I wrote another message on the subject later.

Also, this information is very old, I don't know how the program has changed
since that time.

Message 1.

Regarding installation, it's a standard installation. There is no reason to
change any default settings, as I recall.

Once installed and running, open the menus and in the file menu, open the
site manager. Tab to the new site button and activate it with the space bar.
There will be

various fields where you can enter the appropriate information. The field
you are placed in after pressing the space bar is where you name the site.
this is the name you want to call it such as John's server. type what you
want, and that is all you have to do in this field. Then tab around the
dialog, entering

information where appropriate. Then use the save and exit button to save
the site and close the dialog.

Now open site manager again, down arrow in the tree view to the name you
gave the site. Tab to the connect button and press the space bar. You will
be connected.

There may be a pause. As I recall, you hear nothing telling you are
connected. You will know you are if you see the remote folder I discuss
below.

In future, if you used this site last, just open FileZilla and use the quick
connect command, control r to reconnect to the site. It will reconnect and
go to the

last folder you were in. Once you are connected, you will get to where you
want to be much more quickly if you shift tab through the fields in the main
program

window. If you have problems understanding what you see as you move, let us
know. If you are familiar with list views and tree views, you probably won't
have much problem understanding the structure.

Use the remote list to move through the server and find what you want, just
as you do in File Explorer. To determine where a file will be downloaded,
use the local list to find and open the folder where you want the file to be
downloaded to.

To begin downloading a file, just find it and press enter. If you are going
to download multiple files, Some sites don't want you to conduct multiple
downloads but rather download one file at a time. In other words, if you
select a number of files and press enter, by default, FileZilla makes a
connection for each file and downloads them simultaneously. If you change
the setting, one file will be downloaded, then the next one, etc. You may
want to ask the person providing the server if he/she permits multiple
downloads. I don't know how widespread objections to multiple downloads
are.

To work with the multiple downloads setting, open the menus, find the cue
menu, then find, in that menu an item that says use multiple connections and
press enter to uncheck that option.
You need to do this every time you open the program and want to download
multiple files. You select multiple files as you do in any list. You can
permanently change this setting so you don't have to repeatedly change it by
working with the settings available from an item in the edit menu.
there is an item in the edit menu called settings you can open, then you
will find all sorts of settings you can change.

To see the progress of a download, use screen review, whatever your
screen-reader calls it, in the window. Start at the bottom and move up.
You will see a line with
information about the remaining time, download speed, etc.

Returning to site manager and setting up an account, if you need to enter
information manually, do the following:
Follow the first steps I described above. Open the site manager, tab to the
new site button then press the space bar. Type the name you want to call the
site. So far

everything has been the same. Now, tab and type the appropriate information
in the appropriate fields. When you get to a field that says logon type,
there are three

radio buttons. I don't know the technical differences between these. I can
tell you that when entering information manually, you will likely need to
use the normal radio button. If you leave the automatic radio button
checked, some fields you will likely need to place information in will be
shown as read only and will be unusable.

It is not my purpose here to explain all the various fields and what they
mean. If you have questions about that, ask the list. However, if you know
what information to place in which fields, you will now be able to manually
enter

information when creating an account in Site Manager.

Gene

Message 2.

You get messages such as command and response because they are appearing as
they are executed in the FileZilla window. You shouldn't be hearing them
spoken unless you are using JAWS and have the screen echo set to all. You
can look at these messages with your screen-reader's simulated mouse to see
what is going on if there is any problem. to use Filezilla easily, shift
tab, after waiting a few seconds from the time you activate the quick
connect button. You will see an item you can ignore. You will then be in a
list view of what is on the FtP server. Treat this as you would any list of
files and folders.

Find the item you want and press enter to start the download. To control
where the download is placed, before starting the download, shift tab until
you get to the list of files and folders on your computer. It will be two or
three times, depending on how you have the program configured.
Treat this list as you would any list. Find the folder you want the file to
be sent to, press enter to open the folder, then tab back to the file you
want to download and press enter. The download will begin.

Here is more information about determining the status of a download.

Message 3.

I already discussed how to see the line giving download information such as
speed, time to this point and remaining time.

You can see a number of messages about what has happened if you look around
the screen. If you start at the top, after moving down a few lines, you
will see a

number of messages, each on a separate line. The messages proceed with the
oldest at the top. If there is an error or a problem when you are
downloading, if you

don't see the line I've described with the information such as the speed of
the download, looking at these messages may tell you what the problem is.