Re: Using NVDA with Microsoft project 2016

Kenny Cheung

Here are the steps I did to try and finish my assignment.
To set the start date for a project you have to go to:
1. Project
I open project
2. Project Information (this will open a dialog box with a bunch of fields)
I press ault and right arrow to the project tab and down arrow to go in to the ribbon. Then I right arrow to where it says project information
3. Change the date is the Start Date filed
I see a data grid that says custom fields, and when I try to arrow through it I can’t move at all. If I ault tab out of that window to outlook or some other program and ault tab back it becomes a editable combo box, or tab to where it says schedule from which is a combo box and shift tab back to start date, it becomes a combo box where I can type. I type in 2/16/18.
4. Select OK to complete
I press enter and end up back in the project document, I right arrow to where it says start and its blank.

To add a non-working day on a project calendar go to:
1. Project
I go to the project tab and down arrow to go in to the ribbon. I see Subproject  button, Get Addins  button, Project Information...  button, Custom Fields  button, WBS  collapsed, Set Baseline  collapsed, Update Project...  button, and Spelling...  button. Some of the buttons like change working time and links between projects, and schedule didn’t show up until I tabbed through the ribbon.
2. Change Working Time (this will open a dialog box with a bunch of fields)
I go to the project tab and down arrow. Then I press tab to working time, and after I press enter I’m in the exceptions control tab. It brings me to a data grid, and I try pressing the arrow keys and it says data item  selected  Name, and when I press right arrow it says data item  selected  Start
I press f2 on where it says named. I tried enter and it brought me back to the main document.
3. Select the date from the calendar that is in the dialogue box
I press right arrow to start and press enter, it brings me back to the document. I go back to the project tab and back to change working time. I press f2 to edit and put in 2/25/18.
4. In the Name field, type Nonworking Time
I put in Non-working time after I pressed f2 in the name field
5. Select OK to complete
I pressed enter and the name and start date columns are blank
To update file properties:
1. File
I press ault and left arrow to file.
2. Info
I down arrow to info
3. Project Information
I press tab to project information
4. Advanced Properties (this will open a dialog box with a bunch of fields)
Then I press enter on advanced properties
5. Complete the needed fields
I tried object nav with object review, and no luck, so I switch to screen review. I’m able to interact with the different fields I go to the subject field and do ault s, and put in to the subject field New book launch schedule. I do NVDA shift right arrow to get to manager and NVDA shift down arrow to interact with the field and do ault+M since I couldn’t press enter on it or NVDA enter to activate it. I go to where it says Company:  and put in Lucerne Publishing

6. Select OK to complete
I press enter and nothings in the main document. All the changes that I made from setting the start date to here are only in the boxes, and not in the actual project document.

Sent from Kenny’s MacBook Pro

On Feb 15, 2022, at 19:14, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

Oh okay. I hope Jaws works.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: February 15, 2022 3:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA with Microsoft project 2016

I haven't tried project on the mac, but I don't really want to pay for a subscription. all the Microsoft stuff is through my state agency.

On 2/15/2022 18:55, Arlene wrote:
I don’t blame you. It just may go that way. You may end up using jaws.  Have you tried using Microsoft Project with your Mac Pro yet? I see your sitnature saying sent from my mac pro. Smiles.  

Sent: February 15, 2022 3:51 PM

Thanks. I’m starting not to like Microsoft Project.
Sent from Kenny’s MacBook Pro

On Feb 15, 2022, at 18:31, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

Oh no, try jaws tomorrow and see what happens. I had a situation where Jaws would not work for a course I took in 2019. But NVDA worked even before I switched to win ten while doing this course.  I thought it was because Jaws was too old and I had an updated version of NVDA. I had windows 7, jaws 14 and NVDA 19 or whatever it was back then.  Then that system bit the dust. I got windows ten witch I have now. I did update to Jaws 19 along with NVDA 19 as well. Still Jaws didn’t work for it. NVDA worked. I did complete the course using NVDA. You may end up using Jaws. Who knows so it goes. Good luck with Microsoft project 16. 

Sent: February 15, 2022 3:09 PM

I'm going to try Jaws tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm looking for an add-on that will make using project 2016 easier because when I opened a knew project and tried putting in a start date I went to the projects ribbon and I went to the calendar section. their was a drop down box, and when I put in 2 /18/16 and shift tab to okay the date I put in didn't show up in the start date.
On 2/15/2022 17:59, Arlene wrote:
Hi, what type of addon are you looking for? You might want to look on the addons site in the meantime until someone answers your question.  Have you tried your project 16 using Nairator? Do you have Jaws for a back up screen reader if there is no addon when using project 16. 

Sent: February 15, 2022 10:13 AM
Subject: [nvda] Using NVDA with Microsoft project 2016

Hi,
I’m taking a project management class and we’re using project 2016, and I was wondering if their are add-ons or some commands guide I could look at. I was doing a practice project and it wanted me to add an event as a exception for a no work day, and I had trouble doing that and trying to navigate the calendar to add a start date.

Sent from Kenny’s iPhone

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.