Re: NVDA Comparative tutorial with JAWS

Gene

Screen review is much more simple and easy to explain than object navigation.

You are moving around the screen, the same screen that a sighted person sees and you can move to what is on the screen.

In object review, you can move to information not shown on screen.  to give one example, if you open a large document in a word processor, the entire document is one object.  Using object navigation, you can move through the entire document.  In screen review, you can only move through what is being displayed on the screen.

I am using desktop commands in this discussion.  I don't know the laptop commands.  Others may wish to give them.

To enter screen review, use the command numpad insert numpad 7.  You may have to use it more than once, depending on if you are someplace where document review is active.  Issue it until you hear screen review.

If you are already in screen review, you will hear no next review mode.

Once you are finished in review mode, don't forget to return to object navigation.  The command is numpad insert numpad 1.  Issue it until you hear object review.  If you try to move further you will hear, no previous review mode.

The following commands are used in review mode.  If there are any others, I am not aware of them.

those interested may want to check the user guide or quick reference guide or other sources but the following commands are either all or almost all of them.

Note the pattern in the following commands:

Numpad 7.  Move to and say the previous line.

Numpad 8, say the current line.

Numpad 9 move to and say the next line.

I've shortened the descriptions of the following commands in the list because the information I've removed is redundant and applies to all of them.

Numpad 4, previous word.  Numpad 5, current word, Numpad 6 next word.

Numpad 1 previous character.

Numpad 2 current character.

Numpad 3 next character.

Shift numpad 7 moves you to the top of the screen.  Shift numpad 9 moves you to the end.

If you press the say current keys quickly more than once, different behaviors will occur.

Pressing numpad 8 quickly twice spells the entire current line.  Pressing three times says every letter in the current line using the phonetic words for the letterss.  For example, gulf for g, kilo  for k.

Numpad five when pressed twice spells the current word.  Three times says the phonetic word for every letter in the word.

Numpad 2 pressed twice gives the phonetic word for the current letter.  three times gives the decimal or hexidecimal values.

You can move the mouse to your current position in screen review.  To do so, use the command numpad insert numpad slash.

Left click the mouse with just numpad slash.  Right click it with numpad star, immediately to the right of numpad slash.  This is the same as opening the context menu from the keyboard.

While screen review is still used, it is not useful in a lot of applications where it used to be.  Because of technical changes in Windows 10, also in Windows 11, it can't be used in many contexts where it could before.  You won't be able to move.

Gene

On 2/24/2022 8:16 PM, Ketan Kothari wrote:

Dear Jean,

In that case, Could you briefly explain the concept of screen review?  Preferably with an example?  Sorry for troubling you but that will be of immense help to me.

With best wishes,

Ketan