Re: NVDA reading decorative images in ms Word, how to avoid it?

Jackie

I love you Brian V--thank you! Lol. For me, they were sometimes
absolutely critical, & I wish we had better tools to extract the
information they sometimes provide.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 08:20 PM, Jackie wrote:

I think screen shots are not decorative.
-
I'm glad someone else said it, because I was thinking it.

Screen shots may, in many instances, not be able to be succinctly described
with ease, but they are not decorative in any meaningful sense.  And when
screen shots are included in technical publications, even if they can't be
succinctly described, I think it's helpful that they are actually described
as briefly as possible so that a blind reader is aware of what's in the
documentation that they may wish to point a sighted colleague to or ask a
sighted colleague about.

There are all sorts of purely decorative graphics, but screenshots are not
in that class.  They serve an illustrative purpose and their presence is
important to note.

Constantly insisting on “my rights” with no consideration of “my
responsibilities” isn’t “freedom” — it’s adolescence.
~ Commenter, *Evangelos* , in comments for
America 2022: Where Everyone Has Rights and No One Has Responsibilities (
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/opinion/spotify-joe-rogan-covid-free-speech.html
) ,
New York Times , February 8, 2022