adding to default dictionary

Don H

Running latest released versions of Win 10 and NVDA. I am adding a two letter combination to the default dictionary. I only want to change how NVDA pronounces this two letter combination when it stands alone. However it is changing the pronouncioation of any word that contains this two letter combination. Is this typical or there a special way to enter such a entry in the dictionary.
I have tried entering a space before and after the original two letter entery in the dictionary to indicate the two letters should be changed only when they stand alone but this doesn't change the output.
Thanks